International Travel and Adoption
Our Infectious Disease specialists provide international health consultations for families traveling abroad, including destination-specific travel precautions, immunizations, and prophylactic medications. We also provide comprehensive care for children adopted internationally, including counseling for families in the adoption process and a comprehensive evaluation of the child upon return to the Austin area.
International Travel Clinic Services:
- Customized, destination-specific travel health consultations for the entire family
All international travel immunizations including:
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Immune Globulin
- Japanese Encephalitis
- Typhoid (oral or injectable)
- Yellow Fever (state certified)
- Area-specific disease prevention and malaria prophylaxis
- Food and water precautions
- Travel Safety & Security Updates
- Consultations for travelers with special medical needs
- Post-travel follow-up to complete vaccinations
International Adoption Services:
- Review of medical records, photos, and videotapes to counsel the adopting parents regarding their child's potential health needs.
- Pre-travel counseling including vaccinations and prescriptions for all family members.
- Available by phone and email while abroad.
- A complete physical and developmental examination of child upon arrival to the Austin area.
- Complete laboratory evaluation for underlying infectious diseases and illnesses seen in internationally adopted children.
- Dietary assessment and counseling for the family specific to their child's needs.
- Immediate vaccinations as needed.
- Referral to a primary care physician in the Austin area after the initial assessment.
- Referral to additional pediatric specialists, if needed.
- Social work services available, if needed.
For details regarding international travel consultations or pre- and post-adoption consultations please contact:
Sarah B. Casey RN, CPNP